[Asdf-devel] Wanted: Debian packager

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:57:26 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 5:28 AM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> Faré wrote:
>> Here's the patch I've committed on my local release branch, but
>> haven't pushed to common-lisp.net yet, pending maintainer approval.
>
> That's fine with me; you have my blessing.
>
> Kambiz, if you'd like to take over, that would be a huge help. I don't
> think I'm going to be able to maintain enough of a bleeding-edge install
> to be packaging.

I found that this magic command helps:

1- edit files in debian/ and debian/ only ... if you need to patch
things beside packaging,
  it's going to be more complex than I know how to deal with.
2- commit them, maybe commit --amend if no one else has seen your
previous attempts...
3-
git clean -xfd ; git-buildpackage --git-debian-branch=release
--git-upstream-tag="%(version)s" --git-tag --git-retag
--git-force-create --git-ignore-branch

I've uploaded a new package 2:3.1.2-2 at
http://mentors.debian.net/package/cl-asdf after a few attempts.
In case of difficulties, #debian-mentors on irc.oftc.net is here to help.
Finally, not only am I in the process of getting away from ASDF,
I also am getting away from Debian: I'm not using it at home anymore
(I'm a convert to NixOS),
and at work I'm using Ubuntu boxes but they are mostly work-managed.

Actually, this all prompted me to rewrite asdf's build and test
infrastructure from Lisp to CL. Much better now. See branch
minimakefile, that I hope Robert will let me merge into master soon.
(Also pending merge into master: branch syntax-control).

The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives.
The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the
Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.
        — G.K. Chesterton