[asdf-devel] Make the CL syntax predictable

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Sat Mar 15 02:19:16 UTC 2014

Fare, I wonder, why ironclad fails with your patch.

I have checked the source, ironclad.asd creates new *ironclad-readtable*
and binds cl:*readable* to it in the :around method for compile-op
(like a home-made around hook)

So, it looks like ironclad does not modify any global behavior.

What your patch does?

PS.

My opinion.

I would never write a library which modifies global
*readtable* during load, it's of course a bad style
(when ASDF around hooks provide an easy instrument for my code to
use custom readtable without affecting global readtable)

Should ASDF fail the libraries which modify global readtable - I doubt it's ASDF role.

Should ASDF provide libraries with clean readtable when they are build - seems like a good service,
so doesn't matter what I did in REPL, (ql:quickload :any-library) always works the same way.

But I am not sure 100%, this is a complex issue, more intensive consideration is needed.

It's rational to collect the information we already have into a ticket,
and consider it more detailed when other currently active issues are closed,
as Robert suggests.

Best regards,
- Anton