[asdf-devel] Make the CL syntax predictable

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 19:37:58 UTC 2014

>> regarding the recent discussions i'm generally baffled why it is at

>> all a question whether to make a build software deterministic or
>> not. in my view if there's anything in the global state that has an
>> effect on the building of a software, anything, then it's a bug.
>
> I think one question is whether it's worth taking a path to this goal
> that breaks programs that currently work. I don't think all such
> programs are bitrotted junk that can be fixed up in a day.

those programs that currently work will keep on working if ASDF is not
upgraded.

no upgrade, no breakage.

to me it's a very strange argument that the right way to avoid
breaking unmaintained old code is by hindering change that makes new
things better in the future.

what's needed is people helping you Xach building, testing and
maintaining quicklisp distros. i feel the frustration and i can
understand it, becuase i remember how many times i backed out from a
sprialing upgrade mess... and for you it's a regular TODO.

at one point i tried to build a ql distro locally to add and test a
new project, but i didn't even have the bird's eye view, so i gave
up. if there was a blog post or something then people may join the
effort... but that's off topic here. i just wanted to let you know
that your work on ql is appreciated, and that some people sometimes
even try to help out with it that you may harness.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39