[asdf-devel] Make the CL syntax predictable

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 21:21:20 UTC 2014

Thanks a lot, Anton!

The results are very encouraging: only 4 red things, that look fixable.

cl-quakeinfo is still doing plenty of ugly old-style things, package
promiscuity with cl-user, etc., and needs maintenance (come on,
disable-output-translations in the .asd file itself? Ugh!) I was so
pissed, I ended up fixing the code myself:
https://github.com/kraison/cl-geocode/pull/1
https://github.com/e40/cl-quakeinfo/pull/1
The code works for me after that, on CCL, SBCL and Allegro.
Let's hope these changes get propagated to Quicklisp, and ignore these
failures for now.

cl-protobufs-tests was doing something wrong in its .asd file — fixed
upstream. But this indeed reveals how my syntax-control branch makes
ASDF slightly stricter in how it handle symbols as class designators
and tolerates less package craziness. That's a good thing, if this is
the only casualty.

femlisp raises an interesting issue: it has (setq
*READ-DEFAULT-FLOAT-FORMAT* 'double-float) in setup.lisp, which is
cancelled by the with-standard-io-syntax that I introduce in my
syntax-control branch. I just pushed a change in said branch to make
the 'double-float the default in with-asdf-syntax, which I believe is
a more useful convention than what the standard provides. Which means
I probably should be setting that default globally in asdf.lisp
somehow. But more generally, must we propagate all the syntax
variables from file to file in the same system? In different systems?
This is once again a case where me must choose between hygiene and
backward-compatible support for promiscuity. As for graph-matrix, it
just depends on femlisp.

Can you re-run a full test with what I just pushed in branch syntax-control?

You may call yourself athiest, but I'm athier than you are!