[asdf-devel] Release notes

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Mar 13 18:30:56 UTC 2014

Stelian Ionescu wrote:
> [...]
>> > Every release comes with release notes that mention changes to the API.
>> > I haven't announced changes with every commit, because that would be verbose,
>> > and people who're interested can already read the git log.
>
> Where are the release notes ? asdf-3.0.3.tar.gz(a tar bomb) contains no
> such thing, nor the git repository.

That's a good point.  There is a pretty comprehensive changelog, but
it's buried in the debian/ subdirectory.

There's always been a release announcement emailed out, but that isn't
included in the tarball.

I'll try to improve our practice here.  Proposal: before releasing I
will put release notes into the top ASDF directory.  These will be the
same as what goes in the email message.  I'll also make sure there's a
copy of the changelog at the top level, with a cross-reference.

Subscribers to ASDF-devel will be urged to review these and suggest
improvements, before the release is made official.

Does this sound like a reasonable process?

cheers,