[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Wed Mar 12 17:00:49 UTC 2014

Zach Beane wrote:
> Marco Antoniotti <marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu> writes:

>>> I think having a similar mechanism would be good. (And the
>>>
>>> I think the main problem is that giving it a nice name means that the
>>> chance is high of it clashing with a nice name one or more users is
>>> already using.
>>>
>>> A while ago I was thinking it would be nice to have an API like this:
>>>
>>>  register-system-directory directory &key permanently
>>>
>>>    Registers DIRECTORY as a directory to search for system files. If
>>>    PERMANENTLY is true, make the registration persist across sessions.
>>> But then I got hung up about how to make PERMANENTLY work -- I don't
>>> think there's any way to ask ASDF what directory is suitable for saving
>>> a config file.
>>>
>>> And I am 100% in favor of a nice solution that does not involve
>>> Quicklisp. The simpler, the better.
>> That is what MK:DEFSYSTEM used to (actually still does) have.
>>
>> mk:add-registry-location <pathname>
>>
>> I don’t think you want the ‘permanently’.  Your init file should be able to deal with that.
>
> I'd like to use this interface *instead* of thinking about which config
> file to extend, and extend a cross-platform data file instead.
>
> But I can't figure out how to do it, so it's a bit moot right now.

I think the fact that there are multiple, alternative ways to configure the source-registry, with different means of persistence (set the *CENTRAL-REGISTRY* variable, persistence left as an exercise to the programmer; use the DSL in code, ditto; use the DSL in config files, handled by config files), means that it will not be easy to automagically save a config change from lisp source.  :-(