[asdf-devel] Make the CL syntax predictable

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 22:30:11 UTC 2014

> by now the time on spent discussing this would have easily been enough
> to fix all of them twice over, and to add a section to the top of the
> manual, with bold, that lists the global state that ASDF guarantees
> and isolates.

I've sent patches to all 16 libraries that depended on
*read-default-float-format* being either 'single-float (15) or
'double-float (1). And committed them to the repositories where I have
write access.

Additionally, my ASDF syntax-control branch has a mechanism that
allows systems to specify variables they want to bind around their
system, so you could specify:
(defsystem foo :variables ((*read-default-float-format* . (constantly
double-float))) ...)
where the assoc'ed value is a specification as per ensure-function,
which lets you specify a string "(lambda ()
(not-yet-created-package:foo 1 2 3))"

I'll now modify it so its strict syntax mode is optional. It's easier
to argue out of working code.

Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most...
        — Ozzy Ozbourne