[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 19:32:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> Faré wrote:
>> ~/local/common-lisp/ has the advantage of being clutter-limiting,
>> XDG-like if not strictly XDG, clean, etc., and just one character
>> longer than your proposal.
>
> I am less excited about the future and find it more appealing in terms
> of non-collision, to get "asdf" in the name.  But I am willing to be
> overridden; my preference is weak.

The future you may hate your current self if you get "asdf" in that name.

> OTOH, I don't like ~/local/common-lisp/ because it seems to me that the
> "local" pathname component doesn't mean anything.  Its XDG-likeness
> seems to me a hazard -- it can be confused with ".local" and has no
> corresponding advantage.

Fair enough. I admit I myself use a ~/local/ hierarchy that I manage with stow.
I used to do it with /usr/local, but it's hassle to compete with what
distributions and/or system administrators sometimes put there (on
shared or managed machines).

> Unless someone can convince me there's some useful tree to insert
> ourselves into, I think the default lisp code directory should be a
> direct subdirectory of ~, not an indirect one.

I think you have a point.

> Does anyone have an argument for not being at the root?

Avoid clutter, if many languages each do that.

>> ~/common-lisp/ is slightly more pretentious, but probably works, too.

That would be my preference.

>> ~/cl/ is taking a lot of familiarity, and maybe I should keep it my
>> personal configuration rather than a recommended default.
>
> These last two have been rejected by Pascal and others for what I feel
> are good reasons.

I thought Pascal has just rejected ~/lisp/ because of his current setup.
I haven't seen anyone comment on either ~/common-lisp/ or ~/cl/

I believe that ~/common-lisp/ is the Right Thing™ at this point.

> Thanks, everyone!  I believe this discussion is leading us to a better
> place....

Right before the 3.1 release is the perfect time for bikeshedding.
Afterwards, it will be too late to say "you can depend on that
predicated on #+asdf3.1".

One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises,
is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. — Henry Ford