[asdf-devel] ASDF3, or Why Lisp is Now an Acceptable Scripting Language

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:27:53 UTC 2014

Dear Common Lispers,

I've submitted this article to ELS 2014. Happily, the deadline has
been extended by two weeks, which leaves me time to rewrite it better,
with your feedback.

Can some of you proofread the article, both/either at a low-level and
a high-level?

I feel I didn't tie the parts of the article together enough,
especially the end, that I rushed. What is worse, the limit is 16
pages, and I went overboard (NB: appendices don't count),
so I'll have to cut stuff or move it to appendices.

The source code:
https://github.com/fare/asdf3-2013/blob/master/asdf3-2014.scrbl

The latest compiled versions:
http://fare.tunes.org/files/tmp/asdf/asdf3-2014.html
http://fare.tunes.org/files/tmp/asdf/asdf3-2014.pdf

Is this article useful at all? What high-level questions would you
like answered?

Note how writing this article has led to a lot of improvements to ASDF
and cl-launch in the last few weeks, and is driving some of the
discussions currently on asdf-devel.

Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one
instruction — from which, by induction, one can deduce that every
program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work.