[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Mar 12 20:38:16 UTC 2014

Pascal Costanza wrote:

>> That would be my preference.

>>> These last two have been rejected by Pascal and others for what I feel
>>> are good reasons.
>> I thought Pascal has just rejected ~/lisp/ because of his current setup.
>> I haven't seen anyone comment on either ~/common-lisp/ or ~/cl/
>>
>> I believe that ~/common-lisp/ is the Right Thing™ at this point.
>
> Are you saying that I just got lucky because I happen to be subscribed to this mailing list, but it's ok if other people have to suffer?

No, I am saying that you correctly pointed out that we should avoid a
pathname that people are likely already to be using.

> For the records, I don't like any of the suggested "default" paths.
>
> Just make this a configuration option. For example, an environment variable, or so, then everybody can choose their own preferred name.
>
> export ASDF_DEFAULT_PATH=~/common-lisp
>
> ...and please make this empty by default, so it doesn't mess up anything unless I ask it to do so...

I'm sorry, but that is not on the table.

We are looking for a solution that will work without any active
configuration by the user, beyond "put your system definition here, and
you don't have to do anything."

Best,