[asdf-devel] BUILD-OP

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Mar 13 18:40:22 UTC 2014

I'm a little concerned about making BUILD-OP be the default operation.

It seems to me that "BUILD" is not a good synonym for "LOAD," which is
how BUILD-OP is currently interpreted.

I think the conventional interpretation of the word "build" would
suggest to the user that

(build "foo-system")

would compile and NOT load "foo-system," instead of performing LOAD-OP
as now.  To me "build" does not connote "load."

Is this just me?  What's the sense of the community?

Should we use a different term?  I realize that LOAD is taken, and
shadowing CL:LOAD would be a big PITA.  Is there a synonym we can use?

Best,