[asdf-devel] Branches to merge (I hope)

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 09:08:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> * build-op, fixes https://bugs.launchpad.net/asdf/+bug/1293292
>>
>> This one I would rather postpone until after the next release.  Getting
>> it into use would require even MORE modifications to the manual, and
>> manual updates are already delaying everything.
>>
>> The need for a short name isn't enough of a requirement to cause us to
>> eagerly change the main entry point into ASDF loading.
>>
> I'd like to convince you to let me merge in the branch anyway,
> for the following reasons:
>
> * The ability to designate operations with strings is good,
>   and makes defsystem-depends-on more useful, even without make
> * This is new functionality that doesn't interfere with anything,
>   and therefore isn't a backward compatibility issue;
>   then we can use #+asdf3.1 to depend on it.
>   On the other hand, if we merge it after, we'll have to wait for
>   #+asdf3.2 or so.
> * You don't actually have to modify the manual now
>   (and/or I can do the update),
>   much less make it the "main entry point" into ASDF loading
>   (I'm backing away from that claim).
>   But I would like the functionality in to be able to rely on it
>   being present.

branch build-op looks like it passes all tests, and in addition to the above,
includes a refactoring of bundle.lisp to merge ecl and mkcl support
and have mkcl follow the same image-op and program-op semantics as
other implementations.
I'd say it is ready to merge.

On the other hand, branch fare-3.1 (which also merges branch
standard-syntax, and is experimental)
has a weird weird failure on allegro that I cannot explain at all, in
test-asdf.script:
something is forcing a rebuild of the required-system.

Does artillery violate the natural rights of the target? I would say: the
entire *purpose* of artillery is to violate the natural rights of the target.
        — Mencius Moldbug