[asdf-devel] Port of ASDF 3.1.0.94 to MKCL

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 03:12:09 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Jean-Claude Beaudoin
<jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is, as previously mentioned, the git format-patch with the
> modifications needed to port current ASDF head to MKCL 1.1.8 and later. This
> has been tested on Linux Ubuntu 12.04 and MKCL 1.1.8 where it passes all 51
> tests of the current ASDF test-lisp without any failure.

Hi, Jean-Claude,

thanks a lot for your patch. Congratulations! It mostly looks great.
However, here some issues. Can you fix them and resubmit? Since only
you can test with MKCL, I'd rather you do it.

1- Why the &allow-other-keys in
+  (defmethod initialize-instance :before ((o operation) &key &allow-other-keys)
+  (defmethod initialize-instance :before ((o
non-propagating-operation) &key &allow-other-keys)
+  (defmethod reinitialize-instance :after ((self wild-module) &key
&allow-other-keys)
+  (defmethod shared-initialize :after ((o operation) (slot-names t)
&key &allow-other-keys)
   (defmethod initialize-instance :after ((plan filtered-sequential-plan)

That looks like a big bug in MKCL if you require that flag: it makes
the function accept all keys, when if should only accept keys that are
explicitly defined in *one of the methods*. Please fix MKCL.

2- I explicitly recommend against putting slots in operation. This is
not well-supported by ASDF, and the constraints are not
well-documented and subject to change in the future. Basically, the
initargs may or may not be passed on to children operations, and are
not taken in consideration by the table that remembers whether an
action was done. Big no no. Instead, please add slots to system if you
must, or just use new operations. The existing slots are there for
backward-compatibility only, and I'd like to get rid of them.

3- No, it's NOT OK to rename bundle-system to bundled-system. That's
not backward-compatible, and such a change requires maintainer
approval. The maintainer is Robert.

4- Please follow the usual CL style for parens. No C-style dangling
parens, please.

5- For the sake of ABCL, the test for mingw32 mingw64 should be at
runtime, using (if (featurep '(:or :mingw32 ...)) or maybe adding that
to the os-unix-p conditional branch.

6- How come you don't need the uiop-library-file on MKCL? Sounds dubious.

7- Please no #-(and) anywhere

8- in run-program, this looks very bad on non-mkcl implementations:
       #+os-windows
+      #+mkcl (list "cmd" '#:/c command)

9- Can you run the tests with one other implementation of your choice
before you send, just to check you haven't broken anything obvious as
above?

10- Also, you can remove this comment:
+            ;; both combined

PS: I saw and fixed slight bug in load-fasl-op, please update to the
latest ASDF.

Robert, can you handle the merge when JCB comes with a cleaned up patch?

They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the
Wright brothers.  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                — Carl Sagan