[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Wed Mar 12 13:36:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 22:30 -0600, Robert P. Goldman wrote:
> How would you all feel about an alternate default location for lisp
> systems, in addition to
>
> ~/.local/share/common-lisp/source/
>
> I'm sure that .local was chosen out of the (in)finite wisdom of XDG, but
> it just seems odd to me to hide the lisp systems from the user, which we
> are doing by putting them in a location that requires ls -a.
>
> After all, these are systems, not configuration files.
>
> What about ~/asdf-systems which doesn't make the poor user play peekaboo?
>
> I came across this while editing the manual. I don't use this directory
> myself; maybe everyone loves it.  Or maybe no one uses the standard
> default, and I shouldn't care.

I would ask you not to add any more hard-coded directories to ASDF, and
remove the already existing ones. If what you want is making life easy
for newcomers, make an additional tool that initializes a work
environment with convenient values, but separate the configuration of
ASDF from the core.

The only reason why ~/.local/share/common-lisp/source/ hasn't caused
complaints is because nobody was already using it. In my case, ~/lisp
has large numbers of duplicate .asd files and other systems I don't want
to expose so a :tree recursion there would be very annoying. And please
don't tell me to :ignore-inherited-configuration, for what's the point
of the default configuration if so many people either don't use it or
have to explicitly ignore it ?

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix