[Asdf-devel] :AROUND methods

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Jun 6 21:46:23 UTC 2014

Trying to identify what's breaking my system in the syntax-case branch,
I found a bunch of around methods in ASDF.

IIRC once upon a time we had removed all the :AROUND methods on exported
generic functions, on the grounds that they could unpredictably interact
with programmers' extensions.

I think we experimented with using a bespoke method combination method
to allow ourselves to have our own around methods and "arounder" methods
for programmers.

Even more vaguely, I think I remember that the method-combination
extension didn't work reliably on all implementations, so it was
stripped out.  But I thought when that happened, we tried to excise the
use of method combination in ASDF.

Am I hallucinating this?

I'd be grateful to anyone whose memory of this stuff is better.

thanks,