[Asdf-devel] converting asdf build & test to Lisp

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:14:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:
> All the asdf-tools dependencies are in Quicklisp now, just do
>   (ql:update-all-dists) (ql:update-client)
>
> So now, people who use Quicklisp (unlike Robert) can get dependencies installed
> automatically by doing (ql:quickload :asdf-tools) instead of (asdf:load-system :asdf-tools).

I don't know whether quicklisp has sufficient versions of all the asdf
dependencies,
but if not, it will, eventually, and so I added quicklisp support to asdf-tools,
with a variant of the code you proposed. Thanks!

I'm hoping that Robert will merge the minimakefile into master after
the 3.1.3 release.

> After that I am able to run various build commands using asdf-tools
> instead of make. For example, generate docs:
>
>   export ASDF_DEVEL_SOURCE_REGISTRY=~/prj/asdf/:~/prj/asdf/tools/
>   tools/asdf-tools doc
>
> BTW, note in the above asdf-tools patch, the ~/quicklisp/setup.lisp is loaded
> after the newest ASDF from sources. That way we always work with the recent ASDF
> (Quicklisp doesn't try to load its (old) version of ASDF when ASDF is already present
> in lisp image).

I hadn't thought of that at first.
In my recent commit, quicklisp is loaded last as per your advice,
so it doesn't interfere with loading ASDF.
I added plenty of comments as to why load-asdf was doing things in that order.

Maybe Jesus was right when he said that the meek shall inherit the earth
— but they inherit very small plots, about six feet by three.
        — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"