[Asdf-devel] Documentation questions about FIND-SYSTEM and LOCATE-SYSTEM

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Jul 2 17:21:50 UTC 2014

Faré wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
>> Thank you, Faré.
>>
>> I have updated the manual and pushed that (not bothering with a new
>> version).
>>
> Can you push? I don't see the change.

It went bad -- I'm at a location with a very thin and rickety connection
to the intertubes.

> Also, can you make a new release to fix the embarrassing bootstrap bug?

I may have to wait until I get a better connection.  It's very bad here.
 Probably Monday.

I was going to see if we could get the fix to 1335323 in there, as well.

> And can you merge the minimakefile branch? Or is there more work to do in it?

All of my attention has been consumed by the syntax-control branch, and
there is little enough of that (attention, I mean).

One thing that would make this happen sooner rather than later would be
a solution to the dependency tail issue.  With the old makefile, the
standard development platform (ok, except on Windows) needed no
additional dependencies (except for version-bumping).  All the tool
support was either included or available on linux, Mac + Ports/brew,
Windows + cygwin.  What's the easiest way for someone to configure an
ASDF devel or test setup now?

Also, should we simply prune the makefile now? It doesn't add anything
over your CL scripts, does it?

> Finally, what is to be done on the syntax-control branch? Should/may I
> add some shared-package feature to it?

If I understand it correctly, the shared package seems like a modest
extension of syntax-control. I don't see why that feature couldn't be added.

I'm still trying to find time to figure out what's wrong with our guinea
pig system, broken on syntax-control, unbroken on master.  Until I can
understand what's going on here, I can't reasonably merge this branch,
since I can't support it.

The branches are on my to do list, but will only be merged when I'm
confident in my own understanding of them.