[asdf-devel] The issue at hand

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 13:57:13 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Theoretically, OPERATION may be the root class and keep the old semantics
> (downward + selfward + other). And subclasses override this semantics
> as they do now: DOWNWARD-PERATION, SELFWARD-OPERATION, etc.
>
> This may lead to some code duplication in ASDF.

This sounds like a great transition plan indeed.
Then we could have a warning for now, that would be transformed in an
error in a year,
and migrate to this new setup that detects wrongful combinations,
without forcefully breaking things in the meantime.

Robert, also, in the manual you should advertise #+asdf3.1
non-propagating-operation, or something, because it won't exist
earlier, and we probably want code to keep running with asdf 3.0 until
every implementation has upgraded to 3.1.

Gilb's Law: Anything you need to quantify can be measured in some way
that is superior to not measuring at all.