[asdf-devel] Re: Testing ASDF with cl-test-grid

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Mon Jan 6 11:36:24 UTC 2014

The report at http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-test-grid/asdf/asdf-diff-24.html
is updated with ABCL results - nothing new in ABCL.

Also, I investigated a little remaining failures, and
added notes to the report.

A CCL-specific failure only happens with cl-l10n system,
and only when ASDF upgrade is performed. Without ASDF upgrate
the cl-l10n loads OK, while after ASDF upgrade
CCL:SLOT-VALUE-USING-CLASS function fails with NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD.

If you want to reproduce, here are command lines:

  # with ASDF upgrade
  rlwrap ./lisps/ccl-1.9/lx86cl --no-init --load ~/quicklisp-patched/setup.lisp

  # without ASDF upgrade
  rlwrap ./lisps/ccl-1.9/lx86cl --no-init --load ~/asdf/build/asdf.lisp --load ~/quicklisp-patched/setup.lisp

Then try (ql:quickload :cl-l10n)

And another type of errors we have is failure to load
hu.dwim.computed-class+hu.dwim.logger,
hu.dwim.computed-class.test and caveman-test.

It is caused by Quicklisp problem to handle :defsystem-depends-on.
As can be seen from the stacktrace at http://cl-test-grid.appspot.com/blob?key=52ginnerq3
Quicklisp tires
  (asdf:find-system "hu.dwim.computed-class+hu.dwim.logger" nil)  ;; nil is passed to error-p parameter

ASDF finds the hu.dwim.computed-class+hu.dwim.logger.asd file
and while parsing it then tries to resolve :defsystem-depends-on (:hu.dwim.logger),
but hu.dwim.logger is not downloaded to the local disk yet,
so ASDF is unable to find :hu.dwim.logger and signals an error.

This error can happen with previous ASDF as well, we only
need to have hu.dwim.computed-class already
downloaded and hu.dwim.logger not downloaded.

To summarize, the testing so far reveals only two ASDF-specific issues:
- ASDF upgrade on CMUCL always fails
- ASDF upgrade on CCL breaks cl-l10n somehow

Best regards,
- Anton