[asdf-devel] The issue at hand

Robert Brown robert.brown at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 16:49:35 UTC 2014

I have not been following every last detail of this conversation,
so please forgive me if what I'm about to suggest is a terrible idea.

It appears that Robert is concerned about breaking ASDF files
containing code that defines classes that inherit from OPERATION.
I have written code like this and had to do some serious searching
before I found an example to follow, so I personally believe that
such code is rare and not worth worrying too much about breaking.

However, can't we find and fix 95% of the breakage by running
"grep 'defclass.*operation' *.asd" on all the Quicklisp libraries?  That
would find my PROTO-TO-LISP class, which is presumably now
broken.  In addition to Quicklisp libraries, my Slurp code can check
out several hundred other Lisp packages from web repositories.  I
could run the same check on those.

By the way, regarding my PROTO-TO-LISP class.  I want to inherit
from DOWNWARD-OPERATION, right?

Bob