[asdf-devel] Pushed manual cleanups

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Feb 28 14:18:30 UTC 2014

Faré wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:46 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
>> I have pushed what I hope are substantial improvements to the ASDF
>> manual, at least to the early parts of it.
>>
> Thanks! I pushed minor tweaks to it.
>
>> Faré: is it easily possible to push this to the web page using your
>> makefile?
>>
> Yes: make website should do it, massively hacked from gwking's
> original, and converted to a CL script from shell. I don't have
> directory and/or file permissions on the appropriate directory of
> common-lisp.net to do that myself.
>
> PS: I fixed your tagging script. You may want to:
>    make fix-local-git-tags fix-remote-git-tags
>
> —♯ƒ • François-René ÐVB Rideau •Reflection&Cybernethics• http://fare.tunes.org
> Fraud is the homage that force pays to reason.  — Charles Curtis

I have pushed another quick set of modifications; all grammar and
punctuation, with some chopping up by adding new subsections.  In doing
so, I stumbled on the following passage under Upgrading ASDF:

Starting with ASDF 3 (2.27 or later),
this self-upgrade will be automatically attempted as the first step
to any system operation, to avoid any possibility of
a catastrophic attempt to self-upgrade in midflight.

It's not clear to me from the context what "this self-upgrade" refers
to, nor how it's triggered.

Is this because all systems have an implicit requirement of :depends-on
ASDF?  So that when ASDF scans its registry it finds any new version and
automagically updates it?

thx,