[asdf-devel] Re: Another grammar question

Faré fare at tunes.org
Mon Feb 24 17:42:26 UTC 2014

> So I believe what happens is that use of :REQUIRE triggers the automatic generation of a REQUIRE-SYSTEM for the corresponding module, and then its loading, when necessary, is handled by REQUIRE. Yes?

Well, :REQUIRE triggers the generation of a REQUIRE-SYSTEM only if the
implementation doesn't provide the module via a regular system (as
SBCL used to do). Then, the actual loading is done by the
corresponding PERFORM method, which calls CL:REQUIRE. To make what you
say more ambiguous, the PERFORM may be the result of an OPERATE
'LOAD-OP that is itself a product of calling REQUIRE, and some of the
complexity is due to prevent circularity.

"I think sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it." — Monty Python