[asdf-devel] clisp, logical pathnames, and ASDF

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Feb 3 00:38:30 UTC 2014

I have been grappling with my inability to upgrade clisp, and find
myself confused by the following events in my transcript:

[17]> (uiop/pathname:ensure-pathname "home:lisp;asdf;")
#P"home:lisp;asdf;"
[18]> (probe-file (merge-pathnames (uiop/pathname:ensure-pathname
"home:lisp;asdf;") "asdf.asd"))
NIL
[19]> (translate-logical-pathname "home:lisp;asdf;asdf.asd")
#P"/Users/rpg/lisp/asdf/asdf.asd"
[20]> (probe-file (translate-logical-pathname "home:lisp;asdf;asdf.asd"))
#P"/Users/rpg/lisp/asdf/asdf.asd"
[21]> (probe-file (merge-pathnames (translate-logical-pathname
"home:lisp;asdf;") "asdf.asd"))
#P"/Users/rpg/lisp/asdf/asdf.asd"

Am I for some reasonnot to expect that the standard pathname functions
(e.g., merge-pathnames) will work with logical pathnames?

The online clisp manual page discussing LOGICAL PATHNAMES says only:

"No notes."

http://www.clisp.org/impnotes/log-path.html

But as I understand the CLHS on MERGE-PATHNAMES, with reference to the
definition of "pathname designator", the above behavior seems to be
non-conforming.

I am not at all experienced with clisp, and find myself on strange and
shaky ground here.

thanks,