[asdf-devel] 3.1.0.75 pushed: more checking of system names

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 15:26:11 UTC 2014

Dear Robert,

I'm not sure I like your latest restriction of system names to what
logical pathnames accept: one of the big pluses of not using logical
pathnames everywhere was to allow for a wider range of system names.
Consider the widely used cl+ssl, for instance.

At ITA, we also used to have module names like foo-V1.200, that are
not compatible at all with your plan of forcing logical pathname
compatibility — even less if converted to package-system where that
would become part of the name.

Logical pathnames are a horror that no one should use, and the
portability constraints of which should not be inflicted on everyone.

Could you revert this new constraint?

You can only find happiness by striving towards something else.