[asdf-devel] One failure on ASDF 3.1.0.70 on Allegro/Windows

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Feb 25 23:17:14 UTC 2014

Faré wrote:
> Should non-lowercase strings be either forbidden or case-converted?
> That's a backward incompatible change that would need to be tested
> with cl-test-grid before it's committed — and even then might affect
> unpublished or proprietary code by other users.

I think there's a strong incentive to make such a backward-incompatible
change right now: such systems are *already* broken in at least one
sense -- they cannot be used correctly with logical pathnames, nor can
they be referred to by symbols.  They are, at best, second class citizens.

And we can do this semi-backwards compatibly by coercing the symbols,
and handling the case where we fail to find the system definition with
some recovery actions that come with a warning.

This is much more orthogonal than saying "you can use strings or symbols
to name systems, and they mostly work the same, except when they don't."

I'll think on this some more.

Cheers,