[Asdf-devel] request for test: experimental-submodules branch

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:51:15 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
>> That said, we could also move the defsystem files to a defsystem/
>> subdirectory, making the systems siblings, and being happy that way.
>
> So defsystem/ would contain asdf.asd, pointing to files in ../ and
> uiop.asd pointing to files in ../uiop/ ?
>
> Or would we move the source files, as well?

No pointing to files in ../ —
indeed move the defsystem files in defsystem/ with asdf.asd,
leave the uiop files in uiop/ with uiop.asd.
Follow the asdf principle that you name files based on the system,
and you locate the system thanks to the .asd file.

> I think we can dodge this problem for a start, though.  If one is doing
> the build process, and using the makefile, presumably one is
> sophisticated enough *not* to put the ASDF source tree into your default
> source registry.  If you must do that, well, that's what the
> ASDF_DEVEL_SOURCE_REGISTRY is for: you must use it to specify for
> yourself a well-behaved source registry for development of ASDF.

I suppose the Makefile, even in the minimakefile branch,
would have a target that does the git submodule update.

For the record, I have always had asdf in my source registry;
at times when testing cases where it shouldn't be,
I renamed the asdf.asd away to asdf.asd.bak, or deleted it
to get it back with git checkout asdf.asd

> [I think part of the reason this doesn't bother me (and part of the
> reason I haven't liked the conf.d approach to setting things up) is that
> I have *many* different source registry configurations, for different
> projects that use different libraries and even different versions of the
> same library. I have never had a single, universal Lisp development
> environment, and don't expect that I ever will.]

I admit I usually have one "main" configuration
for open source development, and when I was at work,
the respective projects had their own streamlined build scripts
that properly initialized the source registry, and from SLIME,
I only compiled files at a time.

To send men to the firing squad, judicial proof is unnecessary... These
procedures are an archaic bourgeois detail. This is a revolution! And a
revolutionary must become a cold killing machine motivated by pure hate.
        — Che Guevara