[Asdf-devel] startup times and initialize-source-registry

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:01:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> Quick PS: what mechanism do you think should be used to tweak this
> setting? Should presumably be something easy to specify (i.e., not a
> config file), so that one can quickly start a lisp script, without
> messing up one's conventional lisp development environment.
>
> Environment variable? Since there's no portable way to do this by
> command-line argument....

I'd like to avoid unnecessary environment variables.

Once again, where under a hierarchy the .asd files are is ultimately
the knowledge and responsibility of the curators of the respective
source trees, not of the end-user. Therefore, the absence of recursion
should be a matter of said source trees including a file
cl-source-registry.conf or .cl-source-registry.conf (visible having
priority over hidden), that specifies how (not) to recurse in that
tree. A simple script could be provided for system writers to create
or update said file. A year after all relevant packages have migrated,
we can make it the default and people can drop said configuration file
when they follow the default behavior of not having meaningful .asd
files except directly under the top directory. Furthermore, with a
:file directive, these configuration files can directly list the .asd
files without any further filesystem access.

The highest of minds / Often have built for themselves / The tallest of jails.