[Asdf-devel] startup times and initialize-source-registry

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:16:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net>
wrote:
> If I understand correctly, the proposal is to require configuration only
for
> the special case of wanting faster start up, and absent that,
configuration
> will be as before, since optimization for scripting is the exceptional
case.

> That seems like a benign modification. I'd accept such a patch (with
bumping
> of version for easy detection). We should document it appropriately, of
> course.

Yes, it should all remain backward-compatible, at least unless and until
some maintainer leads a two year campaign for migration to a different
setting.

My plan is as follows:
1- have a special variable tell whether to recurse under a .asd by default,
defaulting to t for now
2- adding some keyword argument to :tree to override this variable
3- adding support for source-registry.conf and/or .source-registry.conf as
things to detect and heed when recursing into a directory.

I modified my previously posted code as a solution for 1, attached.
2 and 3, I'll add to the TODO for now.

(And yes, changing startup from 1.45s to .66s with cl-launch (resp. .83s to
.33s without) is well worth it. It makes some scripts usable that are
otherwise annoyingly slow; the difference is even more dramatic for me on
CCL, where it drops from 2.57s to 0.37s with cl-launch (resp. 2.0s to 0.27s
without).)

PS: while testing my changes, I found a trivial bug in test-program, that
failed to rename load-fasl-op to load-bundle-op. Fixed.

—♯ƒ • François-René ÐVB Rideau •Reflection&Cybernethics•
http://fare.tunes.org
        A flea and a fly in a flue
were imprisoned, so what could they do?
        Said the fly: "let us flee!".