[Asdf-devel] ASDF

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 03:54:52 UTC 2014

Dear Geoff,

>> If you are still interested in becoming ASDF maintainer, which I hope
>> you are, or even just developer, here is a post linking to some
>> suggested things to read about the state of ASDF:
>> http://fare.livejournal.com/176185.html
>
> I am still interested, even enthusiastic.  I will read that and see
> how I feel with respect to time commitment and ambition.  That said,
> I'm very much interested in taking part in ASDF, even if not in the
> capacity of maintainer.

[NB: continuing this previously private mail thread in asdf-devel]

If you're looking at where the action is, there are two branches that
still haven't been merged into master:
* the minimakefile branch, where I translated all the release and test
code from shell scripts to CL scripts, with various improvements,
paving the way for possible future improvements. I believe this branch
is ready, but Robert is just lacking time to fully assess it; also, he
was hoping for Kambiz Darabi's promised use of git submodules to
manage all the dependencies of ASDF — though I don't believe this
branch makes the issue any worse.

* the syntax-control branch, where I introduce control for the
*readtable* variable, allowing for safe compilation at a REPL (or
other) where the *readtable* was overridden (to e.g. use
fare-quasiquote or reader-interception, etc.) Unhappily, this branch
requires more development: it seems that at least *package* needs the
same treatment; and ideally all the variables of
with-standard-io-syntax, though that might cause "interesting"
backward compatibility issues. Also, Robert mentions that some large
software he is using is somehow failing with this branch, for reasons
he hasn't pinpointed. If and when this branch is merged into master
(if ever), it deserves a version bump to 3.2 or some such. Even if the
default changes to something safer than now, some backward
compatibility mode is probably required to cater to the needs of all
users.

Robert may have further comments or clarifications.

There is neither early nor late to fall in love. Only the right time.