[Asdf-devel] Registering preloaded systems for Quicklisp/ASDF

Dave Cooper david.cooper at genworks.com
Sat Aug 9 02:54:50 UTC 2014

Hi, I know this has been discussed, but what is currently the best practice
for registering a preloaded system after loading Quicklisp?  That is, I
have a pre-built image with some Quicklisp/ASDF systems in it, which were
loaded through so-called monolithic-fasls (now known as compile-bundles).
So the pre-built image doesn’t itself have ASDF or Quicklisp.

A downstream user then loads Quicklisp and ASDF (I take steps to ensure
that they are loading the matching version of ASDF and Quicklisp as was
used to build the image).  Now I need to do something to tell Quicklisp and
ASDF that certain systems are already loaded in this image, so it won’t try
to re-load them as depended-upon systems. In this specific case, I don't
want it to try to fetch and reload Gendl when the user does (ql:quickload
...) on an application which :depends-on :gendl (because gendl is already
built into this image).

asdf/find-system:register-preloaded-system seems like it should be the
answer if we’re talking about plain ASDF, because it will prevent ASDF from
raising a “missing-component” error for the system in question, if some
other system :depends-on it and yet no source code is found.  But in my
case I can’t guarantee that “no source code is found.” The source might be
there in the quicklisp dist directory. So apparently I need something
stronger than register-preloaded-system? Or something else?

--
My Best,

Dave Cooper