[Asdf-devel] mkcl crashes during upgrade test

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Apr 21 20:33:26 UTC 2014

On linux, all the upgrade tests just passed for me with the single
exception of MKCL.  I don't know what's going on with the following:

; Upgraded ASDF from version 3.0.3.0.1 to version 3.1.0.116
;; ASDF, version 3.1.0.116
;;; Warning: The following packages were referenced in compiled file
(/home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/bu\
ild/asdf.lisp) but do not exist yet: (ASDF/PARSE-DEFSYSTEM).
Testing it
Excessive universal-error-handler depth! Probable infinite recursion!
Quitting thread: #<thread "Initial" active (17807) 0x2aead6b02a80
0000000002a82000>.
Error while trying to load definition for system test-asdf from pathname
/home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf\
/test/test-asdf.asd: Error while trying to load definition for system
test-asdf from pathname /home\
/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/test/test-asdf.asd: Error while trying to load
definition for system test-asd\
f from pathname /home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/test/test-asdf.asd: Error
while trying to load definitio\
n for system test-asdf from pathname
/home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/test/test-asdf.asd: Error while try\
ing to load definition for system test-asdf from pathname
/home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/test/test-asdf\
.asd: Error while trying to load definition for system test-asdf from
pathname /home/rpg/common-lis\
p/asdf/test/test-asdf.asd: Error while trying to load definition for
system test-asdf from pathname\
 /home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/test/test-asdf.asd: Error while trying to
load definition for system te\
st-asdf from pathname /home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/test/test-asdf.asd:
Error while trying to load def\
inition for system test-asdf from pathname
/home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/test/test-asdf.asd: Filesyste\
m error with pathname: #P"/home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/test/test-asdf.asd".
Cannot open file
OS Explanation: (errno == 24) Too many open files

When I start up MKCL, and push /home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/ and
/home/rpg/common-lisp/asdf/uiop/ onto asdf:*central-registry*, then
(asdf:component-pathname (asdf:find-system "asdf")) does the right thing
and (asdf:load-system "asdf") completes, returning T, and afterwards
(ASDF:ASDF-VERSION) returns 3.1.0.116

So it seems like this might be a bug with the test infrastructure,
instead of a bug with the actual upgrade.