[asdf-devel] Temporary FASL reconfiguration?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 17:22:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> Zach Beane wrote:
>> I'd like to change the output translations for a little while and then
>> revert them to the previous configuration. Is that possible via the
>> output translation configuration API?
>>
>> Zach
>>

> This seems not very kosher, but while the *OUTPUT-TRANSLATIONS* variable is not exported from ASDF proper, it is exported from ASDF/OUTPUT-TRANSLATIONS, so it should be substantially stable.
>
> You could just push a copy of *OUTPUT-TRANSLATIONS* somewhere, clear the output translations, do stuff, and then pop the old definition.
>
> You could even dynamically bind it, if there's some easily-delimited context in which you expect to work.
>
> Cheers,

Yes, you can either
(1) save and restore asdf::*output-translations* (e.g. locally bind
it) around a call to asdf:initialize-output-translations
or
(2) save the value of asdf::*output-translation-parameter* and call
asdf:initialize-output-translations again with said value, which will
recompute things from the parameter and/or the values of configuration
files.

I wouldn't be afraid of these not being exported variables: they are
very unlikely to disappear. That said, I leave it up to the new
maintainer to export them from the asdf package or not (as well as
their source-registry equivalents).

Better, faster, cheaper — pick any two.