[asdf-devel] Regression on Allegro Common Lisp

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 22:52:55 UTC 2013

I committed more or less the change Dave suggested.

You are in a maze of subtly incompatible implementation buglets, all
different.

All that because the standard tried to compromise between incompatible
implementations, instead of (1) mandating some standardized 1-1 access to
the underlying OS, and (2) standardizing on constructions on top of that or
parametric abstractions from that. So instead of having well-defined tools
(that may not be a complete solution indeed), we have horribly undefined
tools (that still may not be a complete solution, and now actually cannot
be).

And so, instead of having two standard APIs, one for Windows and one for
Unix, on top of which to build robust things, we have thirty-odd different
APIs, all of them incompatible,
none of them reasonably standard.

—♯ƒ • François-René ÐVB Rideau •Reflection&Cybernethics•
http://fare.tunes.org
 If you could ask a unique question to a computer during a Turing test,
what would you ask?
        — Douglas Hofstadter, Metamagical Themas