patch for allegro8 (was: Re: [asdf-devel] Ready to release?)

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 22:11:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Dave Cooper <david.cooper at genworks.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I am reliably replicating test-encoding.script failures now with alisp8
>> > and
>> > mlisp8 on Windows and Linux. I will send that output separately.
>
> Here is a patch (with respect to d20ea551c018c46439874f6911e4522289c1196a
> which you just pushed) which should take care of the test-encodings.script
> failures. The issue in my case was that I was running tests for alisp
> followed by alisp8. The asdf/build/fasls/alisp/asdf.fasl  was being created
> originally by alisp, then loaded unmodified by alisp8. Because the pushnew
> of the :asdf-unicode onto *features* was being hard-coded into that fasl by
> alisp at compile time, this feature was coming into the system when
> asdf.fasl was being loaded into alisp8. So alisp8 ended up incorrectly
> thinking that it had :asdf-unicode, which caused test-encodings.script to
> become confused.
>
> Same deal with mlisp/mlisp8.

OK, I pushed something along the same idea, except
also patching uiop/stream.lisp to match the behavior.

> But separating the fasls between mlisp/mlisp8 and alisp/alisp8 should not be
> necessary; in Allegro you are supposed to be able to compile a fasl with
> alisp (mlisp) and load it with alisp8 (mlisp8), and vice-versa.
I'm curious about what happens to string with non-latin1 characters in them:
do they cause the loading to abort, or are they interned as string
with different lengths
depending on the unicode support? (Similarly for latin1 strings that
are malformed as utf-8.)

>>> I am also still getting intermittent test-stamp-propagation failures,
> This has not popped up again.
I'll ascribe that to interferences between multiple implementations
formerly sharing the same directory simultaneously, then (assuming
they used to).

If mice were the ultimate input device, humans would be born
with one arm and three fingers.