[asdf-devel] Detecting non-defsystem dependencies

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Wed Nov 6 19:48:46 UTC 2013

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> writes:

> Zach Beane wrote:
>> Some system files look like this:
>>
>>    ;;;; myproject.asd
>>
>>    (asdf:load-system "some-prerequisite")
>>
>>    (defsystem "myproject" ...)
>>
>> Can you recommend a good way to detect that system "myproject" depends
>> on system "some-prerequisite"? Are there any hooks or other features of
>> ASDF that might make it straightforward?
>>
>> Zach
>>

> I don't believe that this can actually be computable.  There's no way
> to ask ASDF what would happen when it loads an asd file, nor really
> could there be.

I don't care about knowing in advance; I mean more instrumenting the
ASDF process somehow to detect what *has* happened after the fact. I've
already done this in a hacky way by adding methods to internal functions
and (ab)using *macroexpand-hook*. I'm looking for nicer, possibly even
supported/encouraged ways.

Zach