[asdf-devel] How to specify to ASDF to load system from current directory?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 00:59:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> Faré wrote:
>> I disrecommend pushing '*default-pathname-defaults* into the
>> *central-registry* — that makes system loading less predictable,
>> depending on the binding of this variable.
>>
>> Instead, I recommend pushing an actual pathname object (that may
>> happen to be the current value of *d-p-d* or of (uiop:getcwd), if you
>> insist), so that the value remains well-defined in the face of
>> rebinding of the variable.
>>
>> Or better, edit your ~/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf and
>> register your software there. Or for temporary stuff, export a
>> CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY, or call asdf:initialize-source-registry with a
>> parameter.
>
> So something like
>
> (DEFUN ADD-SOURCE-DIRECTORY-TO-ASDF (DIR)
>   (ASDF:INITIALIZE-SOURCE-REGISTRY `(:source-registry (:DIRECTORY ,DIR) :inherit-configuration)))
>
> and
>
> (ADD-SOURCE-DIRECTORY-TO-ASDF (uiop:getcwd))
> ?

This doesn't *add* the directory to the configuration, but each time
overwrites the previous configuration to use this directory, then the
rest of the normal configuration from environment variables,
configuration files, defaults, etc.

You should never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for
freedom and liberty.
                — Henrik Ibsen