[asdf-devel] ABCL and UIOP

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Mar 25 14:04:17 UTC 2013

abcl-1.2.0-dev currently uses asdf-2.32 which includes a perfectly fine
(as far as we know) UIOP.

But one can't load UIOP 2.32.5 from Quicklisp 2013-03-12 in
abcl-1.2.0-dev, getting the following error:

     The symbol UIOP/UTILITY::LOAD-ASDF-DEBUG-UTILITY is not accessible
in package UIOP/DRIVER

which is triggered by the following UNEXPORT:

      (UNEXPORT UIOP/UTILITY::LOAD-ASDF-DEBUG-UTILITY #<PACKAGE
UIOP/DRIVER>)

Is it to be expected that ASDF cannot, in general, "host" later versions
of UIOP without first upgrading ASDF?

It might be nice to consider some sort of warning in this situation, as
until ASDF3 gets more widespread, people may be tempted to get Quicklisp
to locate and load UIOP for them.

Or maybe I have misunderstood the packaging of ASDF with ABCL?  I have
been simply using the results of "make build/asdf.lisp" in the path of
our CL:REQUIRE implementation.  I am supposed to somehow make the
asdf.asd and uiop.asd files accessible as well?