[asdf-devel] Still having problems on upgrade tests

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 03:37:15 UTC 2013

> The following seems to be the crux of the issue:
>
> ; Upgraded ASDF from version 1.85 to version 2.31.8
> ; Registering #<system "asdf">
> ;;; Writing fasl file /Users/rpg/lisp/asdf/build/asdf.fasl
>
> this should be in an implementation-specific subdirectory, but isn't.

Well, 1.85 doesn't have asdf-output-translations.

Considering that about no one should be using asdf 1
(except that my work laptop still runs an antique ubuntu with
common-lisp-controller 6.18 and asdf 1.374),
we could eschew the upgrade tests from asdf 1.x.
What if you edit run-tests.sh function upgrade_tags
to NOT try to upgrade from the 1.x versions?
And/or edit valid_upgrade_test_p
to avoid upgrade tests on allegro and 1.x?

> Is there any chance this could be because I am not running bash?  Or
> somehow something is briefly turning off the output-redirection?

Well, it's vaguely possible that something happens on your system
that interferes with proper output translations and/or cleanup.

Note that the first ASDF_UPGRADE_TEST_METHODS is
'load-asdf-lisp'load-asdf-lisp-clean
precisely to clean the fasl from previous lisps or lisp versions used.
If you overrode that variable, it could explain why some things are wrong.

When you are young you are afraid people will steal your ideas;
when you are old you are afraid they won't. — David D. Friedman