[asdf-devel] Re: Tiny patch for cmucl print-herald

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 14:29:35 UTC 2013

>     Fare> Oh, I used uiop:dump-image, which apparently always uses :executable t.
>     Fare> Maybe it's a mistake, but that's what released in 3.0.2.
>
> Can't say if that is a mistake or not, but that certainly explains it.
> I actually would prefer, though, that :executable were not the
> default, for exactly the issue you ran in to

In this case, either dump-image should accept separate :executable and
:standalone arguments, and/or use :executable executable on CMUCL, and
:init-function restore-image
only when standalone. Backward compatibility is a bitch, whereby
:executable should default to T where practical, and :standalone
default to executable where executable-p. Ugh. I hate backward
compatibility; cl-launch is probably the only client beside ASDF
itself, and I will update it if the interface to ASDF changes.

Anyway, this is on the new maintainer's plate, now.

There is no such thing as a "necessary evil". If it's necessary, then
it cannot be evil, neither can it be good: it's a datum.