[asdf-devel] Re: ASDF 3.0.2.1 released

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 17:55:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  Previously, I think cmucl only updated on x.y, ignoring z.
> But with asdf 3, I think we updated on x.y.z (3.0.2, in particular).

Yes, I changed the numbering with ASDF 3, so that it be possible to
signal significant changes that aren't compatibility breakers: the
first number is a major version, and bumping it means that some
notable incompatible changes were made, as was the case between ASDF 2
and ASDF 3. The second number is a minor version number; it now allows
the maintainer to signal some significant milestone that did not
notably break compatibility. The third number (previously, second) is
the release number; it is bumped at every release. The fourth number
(previously, third), when present, is changed at every revision, and
indicates a non-released revision. A fifth number (previously,
fourth), when present, is the recommended way to indicate a local
patch that was not committed upstream. Therefore, 2.26 was the 27th
release of ASDF 2 (the English language has an off by one error,
remember?), whereas 3.0.2 was the 3rd release of ASDF 3.0.

Human Action is based on plans, rules, contracts; praxeology is the science of
the underlying concepts and their necessary consequences.