[asdf-devel] Ordering of system :depends-on elements

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 06:15:25 UTC 2013

Yes, Zach's diagnosis is correct.

I consider that a bug in McCLIM, that depended upon unspecified
behavior of ASDF 1&2: in ASDF1 and ASDF2, parse-component-form uses
union-of-dependencies which somehow reverses the list of dependencies
as compared to the specified order. I consider that a fail, and it's
probably unintentional behavior in ASDF1, though it is possible that
Dan Barlow noticed the order reversal and didn't bother to preserve
order, because it is incorrect for the user to depend on the order
used by ASDF — which it is, in any case.

A solution that is both backward-compatible and forward compatible is

1- to rename the systems so they follow the foo/bar convention for
naming systems in foo.asd, so that ASDF3 can find them. This solves
forward compatibility

2- to keep the same order as in the existing defsystem, so it
continues to abuse ASDF1 & ASDF2 into magically finding the system
before it is used.

Unhappily, McCLIM has to be fixed.

Language independence means you're proud of not calling your barking a language
        — Faré, about designers of DBMS, OS or other software who claim such