[asdf-devel] component-property

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:10:13 UTC 2013

>> On the one hand, I am deprecating component-property in ASDF3,
>
> Why? What will be the new mechanism for what component-property
> provides?

I propose that any data that component-property is actually used for
should be in appropriate slots of the system.
I will gather a list from things in quicklisp.

As for extensibility, there is already defclass for that.
Or comments, when the meta-data isn't for machine consumption.

This will not happen for ASDF 2.27, but hopefully for 3.0.
Even after it happens, a compatibility layer will be provided for old code;
but its use for new code will be strongly discouraged,
e.g. by droppng the data that doesn't fit the backward-compatibility schema,
and/or issuing an error if the system is not whitelisted.

Economics is not about goods and services; it is about human choice and action.
        — Ludwig von Mises