[asdf-devel] ASDF-USER ?

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Sun Jan 27 00:58:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 19:47 -0500, Faré wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Stelian Ionescu <sionescu at cddr.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 19:12 -0500, Faré wrote:
> >> I think the whole "temporary package" thing is a failure, and we
> >
> > What problems does it actually cause ?
> >
> It causes having to maintain this weird system,
> having functions and classes the symbols of which become inaccessible, etc.
> It causes users having the wrong expectations and/or having to learn
> some magic semantics that do not apply to other cases.

Why inaccessible ?

[...]

> Successes:
> * User-extensible methods specialized on the dual operation and
> component class hierarchy. Big big win.
> * moving pathname management out of individual system files into asdf
> itself. Big big win.
> * Using TRUENAME to simplify .asd management with a link farm. Big win
> at the time, though ultimately not scalable.

I still use this and love it. Actually, I'd like to be able to be
allowed to return to the old behavior where ASDF re-initializes the
source registry on every find-system. Given that I only use quicklisp
and a symlink directory on an SSD, that's preferable(I don't use
the :directory scanning thing).

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix
http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib