[asdf-devel] New features in ASDF 2.27

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 02:24:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> However, this ASDF is not ready for prime time, at least for use with
> ACL.  Its behavior with ACL, because of getting rid of the
> WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT, is simply unacceptable.

Please try 2.26.146, which restores W-C-U.

> I really don't like the removal of W-C-U: it takes the normal ASDF
> use-case of single-process compilation and loading, and deprecates
> correct behavior there in order to achieve some improvements in a
> non-standard case of compiling lisp files in different processes, and to
> fix a problem with the less often used TEST-OP.

I dispute that W-C-U is correct in this normal use case:
depending on the compiler, it incorrectly eliminates warnings
from non-recompiled files, in the case that you're not building
from clean, not forcing, and some of these files had warnings.
I consider that a bug. Displaying too many warnings is also a bug,
but the users can manually use W-C-U if there's none and they want it;
they can't remove the W-C-U if there's one and they don't want it.

Anyway, I agree that backward compatibility is important enough here,
and that if and when more implementations are supported,
that WCU will become less relevant and may be removed for good later.

Instead of loving your enemies, treat your friends a little better.
		— Edgar Watson Howe