[asdf-devel] clisp and asdf

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 03:46:35 UTC 2013

Of all the lisp implementations, CLISP has given me the most trouble
with ASDF upgrade.
Unlike all other Lisps, it won't let me undefine functions and
redefine them in the same fasl file.
Somehow, I always end up with CLISP either complaining that a function
signature doesn't match
(was or wasn't a generic function with an incompatible lambda-list),
because I couldn't undefine it,
or that it is undefined and never redefined, because I undefined it
and CLISP throws away my
redefinition somehow. I tried to selectively unintern symbols for
functions thus upgraded, but
that also fails. Yet all these things work in about all other Lisps.

In the end, I punted: I just rename the old ASDF package to
ASDF-${version} early on,
but that messes with any package that :use's ASDF, and then CLISP will
complain again,
unless ASDF is the very first thing upgraded before anything uses it.

Could CLISP be made more upgrade-friendly?

(another thing I don't understand that may or may not be related is
the .lib output files produced together with a fasl,
when and how they are used, and what I should or should not do with them.)

Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.