[asdf-devel] CCL build failure

Faré fare at tunes.org
Tue Jan 8 23:34:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> CCL 1.8 on Mac OS X fails to compile asdf as pulled just now.
>
> Not-very-helpful transcript snippet:
>
> COMPONENT-DEPENDS-ON [Defmethod]
>  COMPONENT-DEPENDS-ON [Defmethod]
>  COMPONENT-DEPENDS-ON [Defmethod]
>  COMPONENT-DEPENDS-ON [Defmethod]
>  COMPONENT-DEPENDS-ON [Defmethod]
>  COMPONENT-DEPENDS-ON [Defmethod]
>  COMPONENT-DEPENDS-ON [Defmethod]
>  COMPONENT-DEPENDS-ON [Defmethod]
>  Toplevel Forms...
>  Toplevel Forms...
>  Toplevel Forms...
>  Toplevel Forms...
>  ions of (:METHOD PERFORM (LOAD-OP CL-SOURCE-FILE)), in this file
> Testsuite failed: ASDF compiled with ERRORS
>
> Interactively, interestingly, when I try to build from an
> asdf:*central-registry* with home:lisp;asdf; in it, I get this error:
>
> Error while trying to load definition for system asdf from
> pathname home:lisp;asdf;asdf.asd.newest:
>    Illegal logical namestring "/Users/rpg/lisp/asdf/asdf.asd"
>    [Condition of type ASDF:LOAD-SYSTEM-DEFINITION-ERROR]
>
> No idea what that's about.  When I use /Users/rpg/lisp/asdf/ instead, it
> works fine.

Whoa. Something funky is happening. Mind the "logical".
Something quite illogical is happening as the result of an attempted
merge of pathnames with a logical pathname,
presumably the home: thing.

Can you explain me how logical pathnames are used on your machine
and in your ASDF configuration?

It's quite possible that I may have gotten some host defaulting mixed
up somewhere.

PS: I've exploded asdf into bits. See branch exploded on git.

Politicians are like diapers: they must be changed often.
And for the same reasons. [Also, adults don't need either of them. — Faré]