[asdf-devel] deprecating run-shell-command

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 17:32:08 UTC 2013

Dear Robert,

regarding ASDF and libraries,
I think I have a solution that will satisfy everyone.

I will adopt the plan once proposed by James Anderson,
back when ASDF was one third the size that it is now:
split ASDF into many parts, and programmatically reconstitute it
into a single source file for bootstrapping purposes.

Now that ASDF is bigger, this makes even more sense than it did then.
Now that ASDF includes ASDF-BUNDLE, it is easier to do that it used to,
in a way that is well-managed by ASDF itself.

Therefore, I will split ASDF into several libraries.
These libraries will each get their own .asd file,
and can each be upgraded separately.

I will add a concatenate-all-source-op
that recursively descends into all system dependencies,
concatenates all sources, and creates the output file asdf.lisp,
also including defsystem fallback stubs to make upgrade easier,
just like the current asdf defsystem fallback stub.

This way, ASDF can enjoy the advantages of both
a "large set of small libraries" and a "single-file bootstrap solution".
Also, adding new extensions to ASDF will be easier.

XCVB's RUN-PROGRAM/ will be in one of these libraries.
RUN-SHELL-COMMAND will be made a thin wrapper around it,
and moved to a separate backward-compatibility file,
where all functions are marked "obsolete, do not use",
and given an expiration date (say, two or three years afterwards).

However, making sure everything in Quicklisp compiles properly
and releasing 2.27 takes precedence over this refactoring.

The last ten percent of any reform is the most difficult to
achieve. Moreover, it is often harmful.  — John McCarthy