[asdf-devel] ql-test

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 15:33:16 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 06.01.2013, 08:02, "Faré" <fahree at gmail.com>:
>> Dear ASDF developers,
>>
>> so as to not issue ASDF release candidates that are totally bogus anymore,
>> I've written this program, ql-test, inspired by ql-mapper:
>>         ssh://common-lisp.net/home/frideau/git/ql-test.git
>> Maybe some of you will be interested in this infrastructure.
>>
>> I'm currently grovelling its output to determine breakage is caused
>> by ASDF 2.26.55. Already sent a patch to chipz. Will send more.
>>

> Hello.
>
> ql-test resembles very closely what I do in cl-test-grid - try to load every system
> in quicklisp and run some tests.
>
> Sorry to tell it only after you implemented ql-test, I thought to factor out some
> lower level functions for you to use before proposing cl-test-grid.

Dear Anton,

Oh that would be nice.

I wanted something quick and dirty, and that did it.
But presumably, I should be using cl-test-grid instead in the future.

BTW, I believe the lisp-invocation.asd way of invoking things is better:
of course it allows one to specify paths to executables, but by default,
it just relies on your using standard or semi-standard names
for the executables, and having them in your $PATH.
Presumably, if you have those implementations installed,
you needed to set them up in your $PATH for them to be usable, anyway.
That usually means less headache for configuration.

Based on the above, it's also trivial to autodetect the presence
of an implementation, by running some code that prints stuff and exiting.
XCVB for instance prints various bits of information like *features*
and asdf::implementation-string and path to image, etc.,
to identify the beast if present. See xcvb/extract-target-properties.lisp
(which unlike lisp-invocation.asd hasn't been isolated from the rest of xcvb).
This also minimizes the amount of configuration required.

Less configuration is better.

In the spirit of library consolidation, I also believe my lisp-invocation
and your lisp-exe should be consolidated together.

"'Need' now means wanting someone else's money. 'Greed' means wanting to keep
 your own. 'Compassion' is when a politician arranges the transfer."
	— Joseph Sobran