[asdf-devel] Test results on Mac OSX

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 05:16:47 UTC 2013

>> Maybe the test script runner should just export SHELL=/bin/sh ?
>
> That sounds right for the short term.
>
> I don't claim to have fully grokked ASDF:RUN-PROGRAM yet.  Would it be
> reasonable to modify it so that when :force-shell is T (a) it prefers
> /bin/sh to alternatives, or CMD.EXE on windows? and (b) it allows the
> user to override and request her shell to be used?

I thought it already did that by using the system() libc call,
the manpage which, on Linux at least, promises to use /bin/sh, not $SHELL.
But looking at ecl/src/lsp/process.lsp I see it uses $SHELL.
Probably a mistake. It makes the function mostly unusable to the programmer.
Whereas if sh were guaranteed, it would be trivial to execute $SHELL
in the rare cases that it is desired (who needs a shell escape
when you have a REPL?)

Also, the manual page for run-program doesn't explain the return values.
And has at least one typo "vaule" for value:
http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/rn01re63.html

> Sorry -- "make it work" just meant "make it so that I could determine
> which test failed," not "make the encoding behave correctly."

Uh, doesn't this test print the test name just before, in the logs?
As to making it work -- this smells like an ABCL bug.
Any ABCL hacker listening?

So from the depths of its enchantment, Terra was able to calculate a course
of action.  Here at last was an opportunity to consort with Dirbanu on a
friendly basis — great Durbanu which, since it had force fields which Earth
could not duplicate, must of necessity have many other things Earth could
use; mighty Durbanu before whom we would kneel in supplication (with purely-
for-defense bombs hidden in our pockets) with lowered heads (making invisible
the knife in our teeth) and ask for crumbs from their table (in order to
extrapolate the location of their kitchens).
		— Theodore Sturgeon, "The World Well Lost"