[asdf-devel] cl-growl and weakly-depends-on

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:55:55 UTC 2013

Dear Pat,

I'd like to kill the evil that is :weakly-depends-on, and your
cl-growl seems to be the only user of it in quicklisp.

:weakly-depends-on is evil because it's non-deterministic, and what
code you get depends on which order things were compiled or
configured, and you can't fix things after the fact. Could you stop
using it?

Alternatives include having a separate system foo+bar that explicitly
loads foo and bar before doing the connection, and/or using
asdf-system-connections to automatically load foo+bar when both foo
and bar have been loaded. I don't personally like this automatic

As for allowing a system to run with or without another, that's what
hooks are call, i.e. runtime configuration variables.

So that there be reality, there must be an observer.
"I am, therefore someone thinks."       — Faré